Just a note: We hope you like these quizzes...expect to see a lot of them this winter. They're easy to write. They're entertaining. They're difficult (that's the point...you shouldn't be able to easily think of the answer). And they're the kind of clever discourse we like to encourage in this space.
1) The 1969 Mets won exactly 100 games during the regular season. How many teams prior to the '69 Mets won exactly 100 games in a regular season? Name them.
2) The Met who took the worst 0-for in the 1969 World Series (0-for-7) had the game-winning hit in the game in which the Mets won their 100th game. Name him.
3) Three Mets finished the World Series with more than 1 RBI. They were Donn Clendenon (4), Al Weis (3), and a pitcher, who finished with a career batting average of .095 with 174 K in 285 AB. Name the pitcher.4) Those who know Mets history well know that Davey Johnson was the final out of the World Series. But who was the second out of the 9th inning for the Orioles on this day? He was also the final out of the Mets Game 2 win.
5) Al Weis hit a home run against Dave McNally in Game 5. It was his 2nd career HR against McNally and came in his last at-bat against the lefty. Weis also homered in his final career at-bat against a lefthanded 300-game winner, and a lefty who nearly won 300 games. Name those two pitchers.
6) The Mets went 6-0 in the games that Jerry Koosman started in the postseason. He won 4 of those games, the most by any Mets pitcher, including Game 5 of the World Series. Name the 3 Mets pitchers tied for 2nd with 3 postseason victories.
7) No Met had a hit in all 5 games of the 1969 World Series, but one had a 5-game hitting streak within that postseason. He didn't get a hit in Game 5, but reached on an error in the 8th inning to bring home a run. Name this longtime Met.